Thursday, March 22, 2007

a little of this, a little of that

So I have several things that I have been meaning to blog about for a couple of weeks now, but I haven't been able to sit my self down and get it done. I meant for each to be it's own separate post, but I've decided that my brain can not handle the ever growing list, so I must get these thoughts out so I have some room to fill the empty space with more. Hence the combined post.

First off, like most little girls, Abbie loves to sing and dance. She picks up song lyrics from all sorts of places. We are often serenaded with the sounds from High School Musical and Hannah Montana. Yes, I know that she is only 4 and that these shows should appeal to an older crowd, but they appeal to her. Of course we hear some Little Mermaid and JoJo's Circus, too. Although she loves music in general, a favorite song has recently emerged, and it has no Disney ties whatsoever. On the contrary, it has Matchbox 20 ties.

I speak of Rob Thomas, and the song is Lonely No More. While she doesn't really know most of the words, she gets the melody and kind of mumbles along, except for the chorus of "whoa, whoa" which comes out loud and clear. For the last two weeks, every time we get in the car, Abbie wants to hear her favorite song, and we must repeat it over and over. About the time that she decided it was her favorite song, I was driving along, singing to it myself, and out of nowhere she said, "Mommy, it is so beautiful when you sing!" While I have musical training, it is certainly not with my voice, but the comment was cute. So, I'm sure we'll all by Lonely No More for some time to come.

On to Derrick. Last week I finished teaching a piano lesson and went in to the living room to find Derrick watching the movie Over The Hedge. Normally this would have been alright, except for the fact that we don't own the movie, hadn't rented it, and it wasn't on any normal channels. That's right...my son has figured out how to order movies on pay-per-view. Needless to say, we quickly figured out how to change our DISH settings to prevent that in the future.

Finally, the new season of Dancing with the Stars began this week. I will admit that I love this show. Partly because I've always liked dancing, but mostly because it has convinced my husband that one day it will be OK to take dancing lessons together. This coming from the man who refused to have any dancing at our wedding. Anyways, my little sister stayed with us earlier this week and she watched the first episode with me. When it came time for Heather Mills to dance, I was trying to explain to Katie who she was. Basically her big claim to fame is being married to one of the Beatles. Well, my 11 year old sister has never heard of the Beatles. How does that happen? Anyways, I'm hoping that Joey Fatone wins. Not that I'm a fan or anything, I just think he will probably be the best dancer. I was kind of bummed when Mario lost last year. Emmett was entertaining, but clearly not a better dancer than Mario, which is what it should be about in my opinion.


3 comments:

1tiredmama said...

I guess I better do something about our pay per view channels before Ethan figures it out. I think I still have a few years, but you never know. I also love Dancing with the Stars! I thought that Mario was robbed last year. He was a much better dancer. Hopefully this year will be just as fun to watch though.

Mandy said...

I love random posts. Your daughter sounds cute. Ryley always gets this huge grin on her face when I sing to her. I will hold onto that as long as I can. She will find out I can't sing soon enough.

Sierra said...

That is too funny! Kaia has taken a liking to Regina Specter's "Breaking my Heart" song. She sings the ha-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-art part very well, but doesn't have any of the other words to sing the rest.
I am impressed with that little boy of yours. I can't even figure out how to do the pay-per-view.