Tuesday, November 6, 2007


I'm just coming off a very busy couple of weeks and seem to be having a rough recovery. Here's the rundown.

Monster Concert was on October 24th. We had two days of practice at the venue on the 22nd and 23rd. Aside from some ruffled feathers, things went well and we got a good response.

Parent Teacher Conferences came and went. The kids are doing well. Our biggest concern is with Derrick. He is rather advanced for 1st grade, his teacher thinks he is reading at about a 4th or 5th grade level. She has begun the process of evaluation to determine exactly where he is at intellectually. There has been talk of moving him up a grade, but we would probably say no if that winds up being the recommendation. While we have no doubts that he could handle it both academically and socially right now, we have to look ahead to when he is in high school and not dating or driving at the same time as all his peers. And, I'm definitely NOT interested in sending a 17 1/2 year old off to college!

We had to speak in Sacrament on October 28th, so I spent the days leading up to it preparing talks...yes, I help my husband write his! Things went well. My topic was a hard one, but the bishop actually asked me to email him a copy of the talk afterwards, which made me feel good. Afterwards, Jon had a meeting where he received a new calling, but it won't be official for a couple more weeks, so I'll have to zip it until then.

I then spent a couple days pulling all nighters making Halloween costumes. Yes, I bought the stuff over two weeks earlier and waited until Monday night to start. I wore myself out and promise never to do it again (the waiting, not the making!). But the end result turned out pretty good. We were a couple of birdwatchers, keeping an eye on our birds. I only made Derrick and Abbie's costumes.

I was also responsible for Derrick's class "Fall" party. That's right, we can't call it "Halloween", even though it was on Halloween and we are allowed to do Halloween themed activities. So stupid.

I was supposed to have jury duty on November 1st, which fortunately got cancelled, because that is when I started getting sick with a yucky cold. But, the highlight of the day came when I sent the kids to the dentist with Jon for a checkup, and Derrick ended up having to stay to get 3 sealants and 2 cavities filled. Remember about six months ago? Turns out we should really have made him get x-rays then, even if he was scared, because tomorrow I have to take him back to have 4 pulpectomies (baby root canals) and 4 crowns put on. Don't count those chickens. Which brings me to today. My house is a disaster, I'm still sick, and I need about $500 to pay for rotten teeth. If only all those leaves in my yard had fallen from a money tree!


Emily said...

Oh dear Kimmy. Just get in bed and pull the covers over your head!

Karin said...

You looked so cute!

1tiredmama said...

I love the costumes! Just reading this has made me tired! I hope tings slow down.

Melanie said...

Wow kimmy, you are quite the busy mom! Good job on those Halloween costumes!

Sierra said...

Glad to hear you aren't bored. Great costumes, buy the way. Sorry about the kiddos teeth and the "he's too smart for his own good" dilema. I know you will make the right decision.
Good luck with the new calling demands.