Saturday, December 6, 2008

quirky

My cousin Kayla tagged me several weeks ago and I'm just now getting around to it. At least I am getting around to it, I know there are several tags that I've just plain forgotten about! For your reading pleasure, here are six quirky things about me.

1. I don't like abbreviations. Never have. I prefer to write things out. This is why I don't text. It takes me more time to text than to just call a person and tell them what I have to say. I also prefer to write my numbers out when used in sentences (see above "six" versus "6"). Of course, sometimes I do use abbreviations, so if you look back through this blog and find somewhere that I have contradicted this quirk, just know that I didn't like doing it.

2. When I shut my blinds, I always turn the slats facing down. If I pass by a set that is turned up, I fix it. I do this because I believe that if a person were standing on the other side of the window trying to see in to my house, it would be harder to do with the blinds facing down. I haven't actually tested this theory, though.

3. I only eat eggs when the yolk and the white are combined, and cooked until dry. This means scrambled or omlette, and if they seem "wet" it's a no go. Any other type just grosses me out. Although I will eat the white from a hard-boiled egg when I come across it in, say, a salad. So maybe it is just the yolk by itself that I dislike. What I do know is that raw, runny egg yolks make me shudder, but my husband loves eggs over easy (otherwise known as dunky eggs in our house), so I will fix them for him when asked. And of course none of this applies to eggs used as ingredients in other dishes, those can be done however so long as the finished product is not just eggs.

4. I hate to swallow pills. I have a very sensitive gag reflex, and I have to be pretty desperate to work myself up for swallowing anything bigger than the smallest ibuprofen. I used to suffer through migraines as a teenager rather than swallow a pill. I also got strep once and was prescribed penicillin pills, which were small (as in birth control pill small), but I couldn't do it. So I ended up crushing them up and mixing them with orange juice. Three times a day for ten days, it was awful. I still remember the smell. Needless to say, the next time I got strep my mom made me get the shot, penicillin in the patooty, which was so thick I could feel it going in. I'm much better now, I've even swallowed a 600 mg ibuprofen! Of course, I had just given birth and was more interested in sleep than after pains, so maybe that doesn't count.

5. I don't really like poetry, at least the kind I had to read while going to school. Song lyrics are exempted from this. I had typed an explanation here trying to explain why I don't like it, but then I decided that I don't have to like it if I don't want to. So there.

6. I would much rather be too cold than too hot. Summer is my least favorite season.

And in case you missed it the last time I did a list like this, go here to read more of my weirdness.

2 comments:

My Rags to Riches said...

I would rather be too cold than hot too. You can always warm up w/ blankets and coats. If its too hot your only hope is to jump in a pool, and they aren't always around

Audrey said...

Okay, #2 & 3 are not quirky because I feel the same exact way which means that OBVIOUSLY you are not quirky. Nice try though. Normal. Just be happy being normal.